If you think that you may need help, call or fill out the contact form and click Send. Our team is available for expert complimentary consultation. If you are asking, “am I addicted?”, you may well need help.
To help you determine if you do need help, take one of the self-test quizzes. The answers don’t provide a diagnosis, but they can give you an indication if you should seek professional help.
Addiction self-test quizzes
- Alcohol abuse self-test
- Drug addiction or drug problem self test
- Gambling addiction self test
- Food addiction or overeating problem self test
- Codependence or People Pleasing problem self test
- Codependence / Living with an Addict problem self test
- Internet addiction problem self test
- Pornography or Online Sex Addiction problem self test
- Sex and Love or Romance Addiction problem self test
- Sex addiction problem self test
- Shopping or Spending Addiction problem self test
- Compulsive Lying problem self test
Ask yourself the questions on this page, or take one of the quizzes. The answers don’t provide a diagnosis, but they can give you an indication if you should seek professional help
Questions to ask: “Are you addicted?”
Ask yourself these questions. If you answer “yes” to one or more of the questions, reach out to Retorno today.
- Do you want to stop but can’t?
- Do you do things that make you disrespect yourself?
- Do you know you’re out of control but feel helpless to change?
- Do you ever feel like you can’t have a good time without a certain substance or behavior?
- Has your job or school performance suffered because of your behavior?
- Does the thought of giving it up terrify you?
- Have you been arrested or hospitalized because of this behavior?
- Do you have health problems as a result of this behavior?
- Are other people worried about your using?
- Do you think you have a problem?
Alcohol Addiction / Am I addicted to alcohol?
1. Have you ever thought your life would be better if you quit drinking?
2. Have you ever decided to control your drinking or quit, but your resolve only lasted for a short time?
3. Do people comment about your drinking?
4. Have you ever tried switching brands or types of drink to keep getting drunk?
5. Are you jealous of others who can drink without getting into trouble?
6. Does your drinking cause trouble at home or work or with driving?
7. Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking whenever you want?
8. Do you black out, with periods when you can’t remember things?
9. Do you drink when you are stressed out, anxious, sad, or after an argument with someone?
10. Do you drink in a way that others won’t know about it?
11. Can you handle more alcohol now than in the past?
12. Does it make you uncomfortable when you know that alcohol is not available?
13. Do feel shaky in the morning and reach for that first drink earlier than you used to?
14. Do you sometime feel guilty about your drinking?
15. Does anyone in your family have an addiction of any kind?
Drug Addiction / Am I addicted to opioids or other drugs?
1. Do you think about using drugs a lot?
2. Do you use drugs more than once a week?
3. Do you use drugs either to wake up in the morning or fall asleep at night?
4. Have you ever used one drug to counteract the effects of another drug?
5. Do you ever use two or more drugs at the same time?
6. Have you ever used prescription drugs for reasons they were not prescribed for?
7. Have you ever stolen drugs or stolen money to buy drugs?
8. Have you ever used a drug without knowing what it was supposed to do?
9. Does your family complain about your drug use?
10. Has your sexual relationship been affected by drugs?
11. Have you lost (or almost lost) friends or a job because of drug use?
12. Do you stay away from places, or people, that disapprove of your drug use?
13. Have you ever switched drugs, thinking that the problem was the particular drug you were using?
14. Do you ever feel guilty, embarrassed, or defensive about using drugs?
15. Would you like to stop using drugs, but haven’t yet figured out how?
16. Have you ever had legal problems related to your drug use?
17. Do you get blackouts or flashbacks?
18. Do you feel sick when you stop taking drugs?
19. Does your drug use interfere with eating or sleeping?
20. Have you ever lied about your drug use – to your family, employer, or doctor?
21. Does buying drugs take precedence over basic needs (food, childcare)?
22. Do you ever feel like you’ve gone crazy?
23. Have you ever used drugs to relieve stress, pressure, or emotional pain?
24. Have you ever taken an overdose of a drug?
25. Do you keep using, even though you suffer from the consequences of your drug use?
26. Do you panic when you think you may have run out of your drug?
27. Do you think life would be unbearable without drugs?
Gambling Addiction / Am I addicted to gambling?
1. Do you sometimes spend more money or time than you plan to on gambling?
2. Do you think about gambling often, even when far away from potential gambling situations?
3. Have you tried unsuccessfully to stop gambling?
4. Do you need to wager increasing amounts of money in order to feel good, satisfied, or calm?
5. Do you often gamble until you run out of money?
6. Do you ever gamble to relieve stress, frustration, worry, or other negative feelings?
7. Do you want to celebrate good news or positive feelings by gambling?
8. Have other people had to bail you out of debts due to gambling?
9. Has gambling affected your family, schooling, or job?
10. Have you ever borrowed or stolen in order to finance gambling?
11. Have you ever sold an item in order to have money for gambling?
12. Have you ever lied to conceal how often you gamble or how much money you spend?
13. When you lose money gambling, do you think the solution is to gamble more and gain back your losses?
14. When you win money gambling, do you crave another chance to win even more?
15. Do you ever feel bad or guilty after gambling?
16. Do you ever do without basic necessities in order to finance your gambling?
17. Do you lose sleep because of gambling?
18. Have you ever thought about suicide because of complications due to gambling?
Food Addiction/Compulsive Overeating
1. Do you eat when you are very happy, very upset, or experience any other strong emotion?
2. Do you feel guilty or embarrassed about the way you eat?
3. Do you eat even when you’re not hungry?
4. Do you fantasize about being thin?
5. Do you deprive yourself of food to feel good, to feel in control, or to punish yourself?
6. Do you keep eating even after you’re full or even after you feel sick?
7. Do you sometimes binge?
8. Do you always need to have something in your mouth, like gum, candy, or a drink?
9. Do you eat differently in front of other people than you do alone?
10. Does the way you eat affect your lifestyle or health?
11. Do you vomit, over-exercise, or use laxatives to control your weight?
12. Do you feel powerful when you restrict your food or caloric intake?
13. Are the people you are close to worried about your health because of your weight or eating patterns?
14. Do you sometimes eat food that is raw, frozen, burned, or spoiled?
15. Do you finish what’s on other people’s plates so it shouldn’t go to waste?
16. Do certain foods make you lose control over how much you eat?
17. Has your weight yo-yoed several times?
18. Do you spend a lot of time debating what or how much to eat?
1. Do you feel compelled to help someone solve a problem?
2. Do you have trouble saying no?
3. Do you feel safest when giving to others?
4. Does receiving a gift make you feel guilty and insecure?
5. Do you feel empty or worthless when you don’t have a problem to fix?
6. Do you feel used or unappreciated?
7. Are you afraid of rejection?
8. Do you have a hard time receiving compliments?
9. Do you feel empty when you don’t receive praise or recognition?
10. Do you feel guilty when doing things for yourself?
11. Do you have trouble making decisions?
12. Are you afraid of making mistakes?
13. Do you think that if people knew the real you, they wouldn’t love you?
14. Do you blame yourself for things?
15. Do you believe you are undeserving of happiness or good things?
16. Do you try to make others like you or love you?
17. Do you believe you are not likeable or loveable?
18. Do you settle for just being needed instead of loved?
19. Do you take care of other people more than yourself?
20. Do you pretend things aren’t as bad as they really are?
21. Do you keep busy so you don’t have to think?
22. Do you tolerate abusive language or behaviors in order to keep someone loving you?
23. Do say what you think others want to hear?
24. Do you trust too much sometimes, and other times not enough?
25. Do you apologize for interrupting or bothering people?
26. Is what you have to say unimportant in your own eyes?
27. Are you afraid of people’s anger?
28. Do you sacrifice your happiness for the sake of others?
29. Do you lie to protect other people?
30. Do you deny yourself help because you feel that your problem isn’t bad enough?
31. Are you close to someone who is abusing drugs or alcohol or has a major psychological problem?
32. Are you good at “reading” others by their facial expressions or tone of voice?
33. Are you overly sensitive to criticism?
34. Do you offer unsolicited advice?
35. Do you confuse love and pity?
36. Are you often a victim in difficult relationships?
37. Are you obsessed with the needs or problems of another person?
38. Do you try to get people to change their opinions and behaviors?
39. Do you believe another person’s promises, even after s/he has broken them many times before?
40. Do you alternate between defending someone and getting angry at him?
Codependence/Living with an Addict
1. Have you ever lost time from work or school because of your relationship with an addict?
2. Have your relationships ever made you unhappy, or influenced your ambitions?
3. Has your reputation been affected by your relationships?
4. Have you ever felt guilty after manipulating a situation?
5. Did you ever pay debts bills or solve other money problems that belong to someone else?
6. Do you feel the need for revenge after a disagreement?
7. After winning an argument, did you feel you need to restate your point?
8. Do you stay in relationships until your last hope is gone?
9. Have you ever pushed off buying necessities because it may lead to an argument?
10. Did you ever stay in a degrading or dangerous relationship longer than you wanted to?
11. Do you drag old grievances into current discussions?
12. Do arguments, disappointments or frustrations make you want to change someone else?
13. Do you ever think that if a loved one would only see things your way, life would be much better?
14. Have you ever considered hurting yourself in order to control another person’s behavior?
15. Do you have trouble sleeping because of a difficult relationship?
1. Do you turn your computer on first thing in the morning?
2. Do you check your email before doing some other task that needs doing?
3. Do you feel a need to set limits on how long you will be online?
4. Do you often stay online “just another minute”?
5. Is shutting your computer the last thing you do every night?
6. Do you use the internet to form relationships?
7. When your internet connection is broken, do you feel an urgent need to get it back?
8. Are you preoccupied with being online during other activities?
9. Do you hide the amount of time you spend on line from others?
10. Do you neglect responsibilities because of the time you spend online?
11. Do you prefer online relationships to those in real life?
12. Do you get annoyed when someone interrupts you while on the computer?
13. When you walk away from the computer, do you try to figure out when is the next time you’ll be able to return?
14. Do you ever stay late at work so that you have more time to be online?
15. Do you think about online activities in order to calm down?
16. Do you sleep less than you need to because you are on the computer?
17. Have you tried to cut down your internet use and failed?
18. Does life without internet sound scary, bland, or joyless?
19. Do the people around you complain about how much time you spend online?
20. Do you get defensive when someone asks you what you’ve been doing online?
21. Does your job or schoolwork suffer because of the time you spend online?
22. Is being on the computer more exciting than being with people?
23. When you’re offline, do you have bad feelings (sadness, moodiness, depression, fatigue) that go away once you’re back online?
24. Is it easier to reach you through email or chat than by phone?
25. Have you ever lied about your computer or internet use?
Pornography/Online Sex Addiction
1. Do you spend more time than you used to chatting and sexting?
2. Do you spend more time online than you want to or think is healthy?
3. Do you use the internet primarily to engage in sexual experiences?
4. Have you ever decided to stop viewing porn, chatting, or sexting, and then failed to stop or changed your mind?
5. Do you have more than one online relationship?
6. Do you masturbate while chatting or viewing online pornography?
7. Do you prefer masturbation or virtual sex to real-life sex?
8. Do you prefer chatting online to genuine communication with your partner?
9. Does chatting and sexting progress to phone calls or actual meetings?
10. Do you worry about how much you think about pornography or actually view it?
11. Do you seek more graphic or hard-core sexual images than in the past?
12. Do you fantasize about someone you’ve sexted with or seen online while having actual sex with a partner?
13. Has viewing pornography or other online sexual activities ever gotten you into trouble with the law?
14. Do you feel ashamed or guilty about your online sexual activities?
15. Do you stay up later than you want to in order to view porn or interact online with others?
16. Has pornography or your online activities interfered in any way with your family or other relationships?
17. Did you start viewing porn or engaging in cybersex accidentally, and then it became something you needed?
18. Do the people around you think you spend too much time online?
19. Do you get upset with yourself for the amount of time you spend online?
20. Do you hide your online activities from your family or friends?
21. Do you use porn to reward yourself, or to escape from stress or difficulties?
22. Have your online activities interfered with your regular daily activities (work, school, etc.)?
Sex and Love/Romance Addiction
1. Do you feel empty when you are alone?
2. Do you feel alive only when you are with someone else?
3. Have you ever wished you could be more emotionally independent?
4. Do you feel like your life is out of control because of your relationship needs?
5. Are there goals you aren’t meeting because you are overly focused on another person?
6. Do you obsess about being with another person, even if you know the experience will be uncomfortable or harm you in some way?
7. Do you frequently “hit it off” instantly with another person and develop a sudden intense crush or relationship?
8. Do you find yourself in one difficult relationship after another?
9. Have you ever been in a relationship that you thought you should leave but couldn’t?
10. Does spending time and energy on relationships provide an escape from other problems?
11. Do you feel desperate or uncomfortable when away from your lover, partner, or best friend?
12. Does romance, fantasizing, being in love, or romantic intrigue give you a high followed by a crash?
13. When one relationship ends, do you begin another one immediately?
14. Does life seem to get worse and worse no matter what you do?
15. Do you flirt without meaning to?
16. Do you try to control a relationship, deciding how often you see someone or have sex?
17. Do you grant sexual favors so that someone will like you or love you more?
18. Do you set limits on your romantic or sexual behavior that you cannot stick to?
19. Do you feel that you are valued mainly because of what you provide the other person in the relationship?
20. Do you keep a written or mental list of the partners you’ve had?
21. Do you have difficulty concentrating on other tasks because your head is filled with another person?
22. Do you need to be in love in order to feel truly masculine or feminine?
23. Do you feel that most of your problems stem from being with the wrong person?
24. Do you believe that the right person, relationship, or sexual encounter can fix your life or make everything okay?
25. Do you hide your true feelings about (or activities with) another person from others?
26. Have you had sex with someone you didn’t really want to have sex with?
27. Have you had sex at a time or in a place where you did not want to?
28. Does your need for a lover make you wonder if you’re crazy?
29. Has your romantic or sexual behavior threatened or ruined another important relationship or job?
30. Are you uncomfortable with how often you masturbate, where or how you do it, or the fantasies you engage in?
31. Do you invest more and more time in finding variety in your sexual or romantic activities in order to find the same level of satisfaction?
1. Are you often preoccupied with sex?
2. Do you sometimes feel guilty or bad about your sexual behavior?
3. Is it difficult for you to stop your sexual behavior even when it is inappropriate in your own eyes?
4. Do your friends, or your partner, express concern about your sexual behavior?
5. Have your sexual activities ever caused you to lose a relationship or job?
6. Have you ever engaged in unsafe sexual practices, even though you knew it might cause harm?
7. Have you tried to change or stop certain aspects of your sexual behavior, but failed?
8. Do you hide certain sexual activities from others, or worry that others will find out?
9. Do your sexual behaviors go against your value system?
10. Do you sometimes feel degraded by your sexual behaviors?
11. Were you ever abused sexually?
12. Were you aware that your parents had romantic or sexual problems?
13. Do any of your sexual activities border on illegal (or are definitely illegal)?
14. Have you ever attempted to have sex (or actually had sex) with minors or vulnerable adults?
15. Do you feel like your sexual desires are a main part of your life?
16. Do you often masturbate?
17. Do you frequently visit porn sites or chat rooms on the internet?
18. Do you rely on sexually explicit material to achieve sexual pleasure?
19. Does thinking about sex interfere with your concentration at school or work?
20. Has your sexual acting out caused problem for you or your family in any way (emotionally, financially, physically, or spiritually)?
21. Did you ever have sex with someone without knowing their name?
22. Did you ever trade sex for money, gifts, or favors?
23. Does it seem like you can’t ever get enough sex?
24. Did you ever stay in a relationship even after it became physically or emotionally abusive?
25. Do you see other people as objects for your sexual pleasure?
26. Has your sexual behavior ever affected your reputation?
27. Have you ever had multiple partners in one day?
28. Has your need for chat, porn, and online relationships become greater than your need for real relationships and intimacy?
29. Do relationships turn sour after the sexual novelty has worn off?
30. Have you ever knowingly exposed a partner to a sexually transmitted disease?
31. Have you hurt other people by actions related to your sexual pursuits (e.g. missing appointments, lying to friends)?
32. Do you flit from one lover or relationship to another?
33. Do you believe that the right person will solve your lust problem?
34. After sex, do you want to get away from your partner as soon as possible?
35. Have you ever sought help for your sexual behaviors or obsessions?
36. As time goes on, do you find that you need more and more stimulation and sex?
37. Do you need to fantasize during sex?
38. Do you feel that your emotional or sexual need for others is destructive?
39. Has sex become a way to cope or relieve stress or anxiety?
40. When someone makes a sexual overture to you, do you feel an irresistible need to comply?
1. When you have money, do you feel you must spend some (or all) of it?
2. Do you shop in order to relax or relieve stress or anxiety?
3. Do you sometimes feel bad or guilty after shopping?
4. Do you hide some of your purchases out of embarrassment?
5. Do you often feel an inexplicable urge to buy something?
6. When you enter a mall or store, do you feel the need to make an instant purchase?
7. Do you sometimes buy products you don’t need?
8. Do you spend more than you can afford?
9. Do you buy things you had no intention of buying?
10. Are there unopened packages sitting in your closet?
11. Do you often buy on impulse?
12. When you feel down, do you go shopping in order to feel better?
13. Do your days typically revolve around shopping and buying things (or thinking about shopping and buying things)?
14. Do people joke that you’re a shopaholic?
15. Do you suffer anxiety when your bills are due to arrive?
16. Do you own clothes you’ve never worn, gadgets or appliances you’ve never used, or books and magazines you’ve never read?
17. Do you ever lie to others about how much money you spend or on what?
18. Do you ever buy things you already own?
19. Do you feel excited when making a purchase but guilty afterward?
20. Have you ever considered stealing (or actually stolen) money in order to be able to go shopping?
21. Do you think your shopping or spending habits might be problematic?
22. Do your shopping or spending habits create financial difficulties for you or your family?
23. Do you and your partner argue about your budget or purchases?
24. Do you use shopping to reward yourself?
25. Do you feel a surge of energy when making a purchase?
26. Do you find it difficult to browse without making an actual purchase?
27. Do you have credit cards no one else knows about?
28. Do you feel that you are entitled to buy whatever you want?
29. Does shopping interfere with school, work, or family?
30. Do you have difficulty staying within your budget when spending?
31. Do you make excuses for your purchases (e.g. “It was such a bargain”)?
32. Are your spending habits hurting someone else (e.g. using a child’s college fund)?
33. Do you shop more often or spend more money on purchases now than you did in the past?
34. Have you ever promised yourself that this was your last splurge, but soon after went shopping again?
35. Have your spending habits given you a bad reputation or ruined people’s opinion of you?
36. If you are prevented from buying something you want, do you feel angry or frustrated?
37. Have your shopping habits ever caused problems sleeping or eating?
38. When your bills come, are you often surprised at how much you’ve spent or on what?
39. Have you ever contemplated suicide because of your spending habits?
40. Have you maintained your spending patterns even after faced with divorce or bankruptcy?
1. Do you find it easier to lie than tell the truth?
2. Have you been diagnosed with a personality disorder?
3. Is it important to you to gain approval from anyone you encounter?
4. Did you get into trouble for lying when you were a child?
5. Do you tend to exaggerate when you are talking to people?
6. Do you have trouble staying in relationships due to your lying?
7. Do you feel uncomfortable when you tell the truth?
8. Have you gotten yourself into uncomfortable situations at work due to lying?
9. Have you ever been told that you are a compulsive liar?
10. Do you come from a family that would rather lie than tell the truth?
11. Have you ever been in counseling for your lying?
12. Do you believe you are a compulsive liar?